Nursing cONTINENCE SERVICE
What do we do?
We assess and manage a range of bladder and bowel conditions such as :
- Incontinence – Bladder and Bowel
- Urinary Retention (Inability to empty the bladder completely)
- Urinary Tract Infections (in the presence of other urogynaecological disorders)
- Interstitial Cystitis (Painful Bladder Syndrome)
- Bed-wetting (in children above age 6)
- Catheter Management (Urethral catheters, Suprapubic catheters)
How do we do it?
- Through a range of therapeutic techniques including:
- Pelvic Floor Muscle Training
- Bladder Training
- Vaginal Ring Pessaries for prolapse and incontinence
- Electro -Acupuncture – for Overactive Bladder
- Catheter Care
- Correct product selection (eg, type of pad/ re-usable undergarments)
- DMSO (bladder installation for Painful Bladder Syndrome)
Who do we see?
We are happy to see anyone from young children to the elderly (both male and female). We see inpatient referrals in St George Hospital and outpatients in our clinic.
What is our aim?
We aim to assist you in managing and/or curing your condition.
How do you make an appointment?
You can call us or make an appointment. You do not need a referral. However, your GP, Physio, Community Nurse, Specialist or family member can refer you to us. We do have a short waiting list but we see urgent matters promptly. We work 8.30am – 5.00pm Monday to Friday but you can leave a message on our telephone 9113 2272 which will be answered the next working day.
What do you need for your appointment?
We may ask you to fill in a bladder or bowel diary for your appointment which helps us to assess your problem thoroughly. It is helpful to us if you bring a list of your past medical history and current medications.
How much does it cost?
Our service is funded by St George Public Hospital so there is no cost to you. On occasion we may need your Medicare card if medical intervention is required.
What if you are unable to attend our clinic?
If you are immobile or frail and cannot attend our clinic, you can contact our community continence advisor on (02) 9113 3999 who can attend your home.